• PSC Student Emma McEvoy wins AIPP Australian Student Photographer of the Year

Congratulations to final year art major student Emma McEvoy on winning the 2013 AIPP Australian Student Photographer of the Year!

See Emma's award winning images below and and read about her PSC experience, inspirations and future plans.

When did your passion for photography begin?

For as long as I can remember my life has been surrounded by art making of all kinds but it wasn't until high school, during my VCE that I became obsessed with photography!! Studio arts became the subject that ALL my time and energy went into. For some reason when I finished VCE, I didn't want to lock myself into doing something so specific so I studied Visual Merchandising at RMIT which had a range of subjects from styling, prop making, photography, illustration, window design etc. These subjects were really helpful but the main thing I got from that course was that photography was definitely the path I wanted to go down.

How did you find out about the course at PSC?

Through word of mouth and research - I wanted to go to the BEST photography college I could find!

What have you enjoyed the most at PSC?

Definitely meeting other creative individuals! I have made some life long friends and connections through PSC. But also seeing my style & abilities develop, it's hard to really see it when your in it but looking back at my work from first year to now, the difference is mind blowing! It feels amazing to share that journey with this little community.

What inspires you in your photographic practice?

PEOPLE - their life experiences, their thoughts, their feelings, their fears and their dreams.

Where do you hope to be ten years from now?

A lot of people say it's difficult to make a living from fine art but I hope that in 10 years I will have proved them all wrong!!! I want to be exhibiting, I want to be collaborating with other creatives, I want to be travelling the world making pictures in beautiful locations, I would love to be teaching workshops & inspiring creativity in others. I also hope to finish my Art therapy degree and combine my photography so I can be a practicing photo therapist. I would love to be able to help others find healing and inner peace through art making! Oh, I also would love to have written a book to sit alongside my imagery. I have a lot of big dreams!!

What advice would you give other students?

Go that extra step than what is required of you. Don't just tick off all the boxes in order to pass your subjects. Push yourself to learn more outside of PSC. Your folio will be much stronger for it. This is particularly valid for those of us doing part time studies, who don't have as many hours at the college.

Most importantly, always stay true to yourself and trust yourself. Listen to your own artistic voice and follow it. Look not only outside but inside yourself for inspiration. Everyone has something unique to say and that is what will set you apart from the myriad of photographers trying to make it out there. Everything may of been done but it's never been done by YOU. You can make it new & different!

Emma and her fellow art major students are currently preparing for Fresh13 their end of year exhibition. You can view their work at the Yarra Sculpture Gallery in Abbotsford from Saturday 23rd November to Sunday 8th December 2013. Check out their campaign on Pozible.