• Graduate Profile - Tom Goldner
Melina 10/15/2014 graduates
1 Minutes

The-Fox-Darkroom-Melbourne001_19-1024x682

How did your passion for photography begin?

My passion for photography began in high school.  It was the first time I stepped into  a darkroom and watched an image come to life in the developer.  It was one of the first times in my life that things made sense.

What were the highlights of your time at PSC?

I have so many fond memories at my time at PSC but some of the highlights include the friendships I developed with other students, teachers and staff. On another note it was a very special time being encouraged to explore creativity and what makes you tick.

What inspires you in your photographic practice?

For me photography is  simply a tool for pursuing what your passionate about. Im constantly finding inspiration in the people I surround myself with and  the world we live in. Anybody short of inspiration should get on a flight to a place they have never been!

What are you doing now?

I have just launched a new business - The Fox Darkroom - a black and white photographic darkroom where I will be teaching traditional process. My past experience with darkroom printing has been largely influenced by my time at PSC, we can take so many fundamental lessons in how we approach our practice from the old way of doing things. I want to preserve this important part of our history and inspire others with the magic of traditional process.

What advice would you give to current/future students?  

Keep reinventing what you do - It can be difficult to find the balance of earning a living and doing what you love.  Through my practice I have found if you continue to produce work and or projects that you feel passionately about opportunities will arise and doors will open.  When it all boils down we pursued photography because we love the art, therefore, it only makes sense that you should follow your heart in what you do. Keep at it!

Fox-Darkroom-Melbourne-Photography0011

Fox-Darkroom-Melbourne-Photography0001