• Student Profile - Daniel Pockett

Photojournalism Major student Daniel Pockett was one of the 3 finalists for the 2015 AIPP Australian Student Photographer of the Year at the recent Australian Professional Photography awards (APPAs).  Taking home both Gold and Silver Distinction awards, and in the process one of the highest overall scores in Australia for a student, Daniel shares his experience with us below:

Initially I wanted to be a cinematographer (being a big film buff) and studied film & TV, but moving overseas meant I never got to finish that course.   Then around 2007 I was given my first decent camera and this prompted my move into stills.  

Out of all the genres I shoot, sport and music are the two I absolutely love working in. Being up so close to it all, and capturing the action as it unfolds as creatively as possible are the reasons I love it. It’s often an adrenaline rush, and chasing that ever-elusive perfect frame is what keeps drawing me back for more.
Australian Gymnastic Championships by Daniel Pockett

Since enrolling at PSC in mid-2011, my photography has gone from strength to strength. The theory and design classes early on, combined with digital and studio along the way, have really fleshed out my work and made me a photographer who can now confidently get the picture on any brief.  I also think the on-going support and regularly being around like-minded people really helps your work develop.

I’ve always had a visual eye with a background in Architectural Drafting - I guess it’s mainly shadows and shapes that I am drawn to.  In my second year of study at PSC (part-time) I started building my freelance business, and now in my final year at PSC I've given myself an enormous workload while I transition from my day-job into photography as my primary career. I have managed to pickup several clients including Getty Images, and even though in 2016 I won’t be working on PSC assignments any longer, I can see next year being even busier for me. My plan is to be able to drop the drafting job completely within the next 1-2 years.
St Kilda Sharks by Daniel Pockett
I didn’t get to watch the judging live at this year’s national APPAs - I was away on a shoot that weekend - but I did get to watch most of the replay. When the judges find reason to discuss your work it is always a great listen, they all know their stuff and I often take their feedback and apply it to my future work and will this year too.
When I realised I became runner up in the Australian Student of the Year category, I was completely blown away. Being in consideration for the award had honestly never crossed my mind, I just wanted to enter 3 different type of sports photos and see how I went against the best in the industry. In hindsight, I wish I had selected a different image for my 3rd entry but that’s history now and I am stoked with how I went! And to receive one of only 3 Gold awards handed out in the Sport category is something I’m also very proud of.
Having the experience from this year, I think in 2016 I will enter more of a 'series' than individual prints.  That will be in the Emerging Photographer category too - you never know how you will go so you have to give it a shot!
AAMI Park by Daniel Pockett
You can view more of Daniel’s work on his website:   www.pockettphoto.com