• Home
  • Anthony Basheer Gets Published Within Months of Graduating From PSC

Anthony Basheer for Belle Magazine Anthony Basheer for Belle Magazine

Resembling a glamorous set of a classic Italian film, Anthony Basheer creates a timeless look with surreal lighting that showcases the decadent quality of the objects in the frame. His photographs clearly show us the power of layered storytelling; something that is rare and extremely important in commercial and creative industries today. Published in the most recent issue of Belle Magazine (the no.1 magazine in Australia for interior design), it is the first time that Anthony’s work has been featured in a periodical journal. Graduating from PSC with an Advanced Diploma in photography just in May 2015, this is a mammoth achievement.

Anthony received a significant amount of training from PSC, majoring in commercial photography as a part time student. According to him, this education allowed him to complete his shoot for Belle magazine with utmost ease and confidence.

Belle Magazine publishes Anthony Basher Belle Magazine publishes Anthony Basheer

As magnificent as his images are, it is worthy to note that Anthony’s passion for photography emerged only recently. Working as a database analyst for twenty years, he found himself confronting the unhappiness he felt with his day-to-day routine. In search for a career change to do something more fulfilling, Anthony signed up for a graduate diploma in horticulture and almost went onto study landscape architecture, when he came across PSC. He had reached a crossroad in his life at this point. Spurred by the curiosity of photography, he took the leap and enrolled himself in something he had no prior experience with.

It was very exciting for me to join the college. I wanted to immerse myself with new knowledge. I started learning about basic art concepts and principles of design, before going on to experiment with light and colour… and the placement of objects. We were taught concepts that brought out our vision, purpose and style. It was remarkable to grow my understanding of this field along with a group of really supportive students.

Within the first few weeks of his first semester, Anthony learnt that photography was a rare mix of technical and artistic elements, something that truly complemented his personality. It was the perfect fit. Hailing from a family of business-minded people, this new direction was a surprise to him and to those who were close to him.

Anthony Basheer Shoots for Establishment Sudios, 2014 Anthony Basheer Shoots for Establishment Sudios, 2014

Anthony’s perspective transformed everyday while he was gaining an education in photography. Contrary to focusing on the ‘end result’, he realised that the process and journey of life was far more important to keep in mind, in order to be happy. His new outlook was a slight adjustment for the people in Anthony’s life, but they began to support his way of thinking when he proved that he could make a successful career out of simply doing what he loved.

I always wanted to do something different in life. I knew that changing my career to become a photographer was going to be a little difficult… Growing up in a family where no one was artistically inclined, I focused on conforming to the expectations of others and ended up working in a field that I had no passion for, just to please people. Now as a photographer, I’m glad to be on a journey that is meaningful and fulfilling.

Rippon Lea shoot. Anthony's assignment for National Trust of Victoria Rippon Lea shoot. Anthony's assignment for National Trust of Victoria

Being curious and inquisitive from childhood, Anthony continues to seek new stories with his photography. He is currently working with three different architects, recently completing an assignment for the National Trust of Victoria. Covering buildings of national importance and unearthing the heritage of Melbourne in his wonderful portfolio for the organisation, Anthony’s stunning work that captures the grandeur of Rippon Lea house and Gardens will be placed in brochures and promotional material for years to come. This is a grand honour for an emerging photographer whose work was also printed in The Age not too long ago.

Julie Wajs was a very influential teacher while I was at PSC. She helped me to define and create my portfolio in a way that caught the attention of people from the industry. She taught me the technique of crafting a story that could be woven into my photographs, giving my work substance. This allowed me to communicate my intent in a unique and clear manner to clients.

Working with the award winning architecture firm in Melbourne, MRTN Architects, Anthony was able to build his niche in architectural photography with his shoot for Trentham House. This allowed him to get noticed by the architecture and design circuit, winning him contacts who booked him for various projects such as: Mariner Lounge (for Melbourne City Council) and Beaumaris House (for Diana Scully) - just to name a few. Anthony is now on a path filled with countless assignments, enriching his career as a professional photographer. You can keep updated with his journey to see upcoming projects.

Anthony's Shoot for Trentham House (MRTN Architects) was published in The Age, 2015 Anthony's Shoot for Trentham House (MRTN Architects) was published in The Age, 2015

I love to shoot interiors, gardens and architecture. The structure involved in the principles of design really intrigues me. In my photography, I aim to bring out the details of the spaces I shoot and layer it with my own style, with lighting techniques I learnt to finesse at PSC.

Anthony Basheer's earlier work. An example of Anthony Basheer's Early Photography Work

His advice for those who are breaking into the competitive industry of landscape and architectural photography is:

• Find people whose work you love and approach them.
  • Immerse yourself in the area of photography that interests you. Be a part of these communities and get to know other people in the field.
  • Build and email your contact list in the last few months of your degree or diploma so you have assignments by the time you graduate.
  • Be persistent and regular with the people you contact; they often have opportunities for you after 3 to 6 months.
  • Know what you want to photograph before setting out your shoot.
  • Be prepared to put in a lot of work towards building your career as a professional photographer.
  • Be prepared to enjoy the life of adventure and freedom as a photographer.

Click to read more about Anthony Basher from Southbank Local News Click to read more about Anthony Basheer