• Celebrating PSC's Winning Students of AIPP VPP

This year for the 2016 state-wide AIPP Victorian Epson Professional Photography Awards, PSC students submitted their work to one of the most prestigious competitions in the photography industry. 47 photographs from PSC received silver and gold awards, with students Neville Jones and Robert Palmer receiving notably high points at the awards - not to mention Allison Rose's overall highest scoring point in print in the entire state!

The three top winning students all come from our part time group of classes, signifying the enriching photographic experience they receive from our award winning college.

PSC is excited to celebrate the achievements of all students at the AIPP awards, on Thursday (April 7) with a special toast to our talented students. Here are some thoughts from Neville, Robert and Allison:

Images by Allison Rose Images by Allison Rose

"I was overwhelmed by the positive responses to my recent series "The Readymade" selected for exhibition over summer at PSC, then at the show for Emerging Women Photographers at Queen Victoria Centre as part of International Womens Day Celebrations & finally awarded the highest score for a print in the Victorian State AIPP Awards.

The series itself is a futuristic view of the ultimate consumerism, readymade babies, raising questions about the hollowness of technology, balanced against the natural sweetness of creation.  The language, imagery & colour palette reference the pop & dada movements.

The images were created as still life arrangements using a digital Xray machine as the camera, & then coloured in photoshop.  I was concerned in the first instance about where they would fit in the scheme of the AIPP awards.  Clearly they arise from an alternative process, but this avenue, in the AIPP awards is restricted to processes with an analogue output.  As a conceptual series, the images are not easy to interpret without contextualisation, again not part of the awards system, so I was uneasy about the reception in the illustrative category. Thanks to advice from (PSC teacher) Julie Wajs I printed a grid of the images to aid in the appreciation of the narrative.  Indeed 3 judges left the panel at the time of judging because they felt unable to contribute (my heart fell as I watched the live stream) and Julie Ewing, a grand master, stepped in.  She awarded the highest of the judges scores, but also gave an excellent explanation about what she believed the series was about, so I was very excited to hear that someone actually understood what it was that I was trying to say.  

The exposure & commentary has given me the further confidence to pursue conceptual art photography as a medium for me to have my say.   It is a rare privilege to be able to do this in any small way & this recent success has been huge in my purview."

- Allison Rose

'Serenity' by Neville Jones 'Serenity' by Neville Jones

"I credit Neil Stanyer, my second year teacher PSC, for transforming my approach to photography. I commenced second year practicing photography as a technology-driven pursuit. By the end of second year I was seeing through the camera not looking at it."

- Neville Jones

Image by Robert Palmer Image by Robert Palmer

'PSC has been instrumental in getting me here, at this level & experience of photography.'
- Robert Palmer

We will keep you updated about our celebrations and stories from our AIPP VPPY award winning students. To find out more learning photography with us part time, click here.