• Home
  • Student Feature - Sevim Ozkan

Over the past few days, we’ve been featuring a bunch of students who finished their studies at PSC at the end of 2016. Today we’re featuring Sevim Ozkan (Photojournalism Major).

Why did you choose to study at PSC?
At a time when I was soul searching to express myself better where I thought my English was failing me, I knocked on the PSC's door to explore a new medium.

How did you grow throughout your time at PSC?
PSC was the birthplace to my photographic journey. I didn't come from an artistic family, neither did I think I had the skills. To me, it was pushing another boundary in life and see what would come out of it. It wasn't necessarily for a new career move, it was more so I wanted to offer myself a new dimension to "seeing". PSC has been my hub for inspiration, support and life-long friendships.

What process did you go through for your final project?
My final project has developed over a client brief for Youth Junction Inc in Sunshine, an organisation offers a variety of support services to disadvantaged young people aged from 12 to 25. My multimedia piece focused on the core issues these young people face and live with and the support this organisation offers to them at these crucial stages of their lives.
My print folio consisted of individual portraits of young people living with issues like drug addictions, mental health problems and dysfunctional families. The project has made me grow, see and question. I found myself at places I wouldn't have otherwise been or explore. It's been an immense learning process in every way possible.

What are your plans from here?
Following my multimedia project for the folio, I have now developed a strong interest in short documentary pieces. I will always maintain a personal project on the side to keep my passion fuelled. I have two young children and hoping by the time they're both at school age, I'll make a full-time income from my photography business.

What advice would you give to anyone starting their studies at PSC?
See the light, feel the light, live the light. It's all about light. With light comes the mood comes the story, comes the expression.

by Sevim Ozkan

Tag:

Students