• Masters of Arts - Photography tutor; Kristian Häggblom

As the excitement for our new Masters of Arts - Photography program continues to gain momentum, we decided to learn more about the tutors who will be involved. Kristian Häggblom started working at PSC earlier this year, but has already made a lasting impression on the Bachelor of Photography students he works with.

Kristian Haggblom, 'Queenstown', 1998

How did your postgraduate studies further your photographic thinking?
Doing a PhD enabled me to concentrate on a long-term photographic project and ensure it was completed to the highest standard. Importantly, it taught me to think more critically about my own work and also write about it with much more clarity.

What advice do you have for undergraduate students?
As an undergraduate student I think you need to saturate yourself in photography and the themes you are researching – read, read, read. I also highly encourage students to experiment, learn the basics, but also break the rules.

Can you tell us about what you are presently working on?
I’m researching a bearded seal that lived in the Tama River in Tokyo for a time during 2002 and then disappeared.

What was the last exhibition or publication or curatorial project you worked on?
Earlier this year I collaborated with an Indian friend and photographer, Farhad Bomanjee, to curate an exhibition of my photographs made in Japan between 2000 – 2008. It was at his gallery in the Kala Ghoda Café in Mumbai and part of the extensive FOCUS Photography Festival.

What do you enjoy about working with graduate students?
Working with graduate students is inspiring as they are very passionate and often I learn from their in-depth research. It is also great witnessing breakthroughs in student projects, when the dot-to-dot process aligns and results become clear.

What's the best thing about the environment at PSC?
The staff at PSC are all active in varying forms of photography and it is exciting to work in such an engaged an immersive environment.

Take a look at Kristian's work on his website.