• Student Profile - Tim Allen

How did you become interested in photography?

When I was 10 years old my dad brought home our first family desktop computer bundled with a digital camera. We quickly set up our now stone age internet connection. I stumbled across art and photography websites and began asking my dads permission to take the digital camera out of the house on my own. After gaining his trust, I haven't turned back.

What have been some of the highlights of your PSC journey?

There are several highlights. One of them would be winning a Victorian AIPP Silver award as a Student Photographer. Also, a post card company wanting to print and distribute one of my aerial photographs to over 1500 venues around Australia. But I couldn't forgot the biggest one: getting a full time job in the industry before I even finished my third year at PSC.

What inspires your photography? How do you stay motivated?

I seek a lot of inspiration from what the people I hold closest in my life are doing. From their hobbies and interests or even business ventures. Music, movies and reading is also very important for the development of my ideas and concepts.

Right now my main motivation is where my photography will take me. It's all I have ever done and it's all I really know.

What are you hoping to do after finishing?

I hope to travel for quite a while, but most importantly find work abroad in the industry. I still have a lot to see for my self and capture with my camera.

What advice would you give to people thinking about pursuing photography?

Staying organised and managing your time is critical. Also, not forgetting why you first wanted to pursuit photography.

Tim is a part time student in his third year of the Advanced Diploma of Photography. Check out more of his work on his website.

6

1

7