• Student Feature - Serge Piastra

Over the past few days, we’ve been featuring a bunch of students who finished their studies at PSC at the end of 2016. Today we’re featuring Serge Piastra (Photojournalism Major).

by Serge Piastra

by Serge Piastra

Why did you choose to study at PSC?
Wanting to take a long time hobby to the next level, I was looking at the various photography courses on offer. I visited PSC back in 2011 and guided by Carmen Edwards, I was given a tour of the School. Impressed by the quality of the facilities and the staff’s friendliness, I decided to take the plunge!

How did you grow throughout your time at PSC?
I quickly realised that the technical aspect of photography is an essential element to master, but one which plays a relatively small part in the craft. Creating pictures which tell a story requires you to constantly go out of your comfort zone. For someone like me, it was a huge challenge to overcome, but it has been an extremely beneficial and rewarding effort. The constant support I received from my wife during those 4 years has been incredible as well as pivotal to my achievement. Partners deserve a lot more recognition in my opinion!

What process did you go through for your final project?
I documented the Meals On Wheels program provided by the Maroondah City Council. Shooting video and stills took place in the kitchen facilities, the volunteers centre and at one of the client’s home. The material produced is rather literal, going through every step of the process, from the meals production to the home delivery. The intent of the project is to promote the service and entice more volunteers to join the program. The video is to be displayed at the Council’s office. 

What are your plans from here?
I will be looking for more opportunities to produce stills or multimedia work for the council or any other local community organisation. I have also a strong interest in sports photography, in particular motorsports, and I plan to attend as many events as possible during 2017 in order to sharpen my skills. The challenge will be to find an outlet for my images.

What advice would you give to anyone starting their studies at PSC?
Unarguably, working full time and studying part time is extremely challenging and demanding, but the rewards are well worth the efforts. Make the most of the wealth of knowledge the tutors are willing to share with you, start working on your folios as early as possible and shoot, shoot, shoot!

by Serge Piastra

Tag:

Students