• Graduate Feature - Olivia Mroz

As a fun way to start the year, we've been in touch with a bunch of our graduates and asked them to share a bit about their experience at PSC and to let us know what they've been up to since graduating.

Today, we're really excited to feature Olivia Mroz, who finished studying at PSC in 2015 and has been doing plenty of exciting things ever since.

by Olivia Mroz

What got you started in photography?
As child I was always drawing, designing, painting, sewing - creating in general. During the MySpace days, I followed and connected with a lot of creatives which influenced my interest in photography. So at the age of thirteen I saved up and purchased my first Pentax 35mm camera - a love affair ever since.

Why did you decide to study at PSC?
I came across PSC in high school and I wanted to study there ever since - I was in awe of the quality of imagery. I studied at other institutes previously, but PSC is where I flourished.

by Olivia Mroz

When did you graduate and what did you focus on?
I finished my Bachelor Degree (majoring in Art) in 2015 and started my business Olivia&Thyme in April 2016. It's been quite a natural transition from art to commercial work. I have been mainly focusing on Olivia&Thyme - but I always create my personal works in between.

How did PSC help get you where you are today?
I had an abundance of support from PSC. I had amazing teachers and a lot of understanding and patience from them. And because of that, I will always be so, so grateful. They helped me recognise my talent, build courage and my confidence.

How do you balance your commercial and personal work?
Well, my commercial practice is my source of income - and I always find time for my personal work as it’s important for my mental health. So it naturally balances out. And I think my love for both helps a lot, haha.

Tell us a bit about your Olivia&Thyme business.
I started Olivia&Thyme in April 2016, so it is still finding and defining its place in the world. But in saying that, a large focus is on event, lifestyle and food, but I also shoot things like fashion, editorial and portraits.

by Olivia Mroz

Tell us a bit about your art practice.
I shoot using 35mm, medium format and polaroid within my art practice, with the inclusion of poetry pieces and
painting. My art practice is a tool I use to come to terms and try to understand complexities. It is both therapeutic, and sometimes triggering, but it keeps me grounded and thankful for how far I have come.

How would you describe your style?
Well, my personal work compared to my commercial sit in two totally different worlds! Olivia&Thyme is elegant, refined and contemporary and my personal work is raw, messy and confronting.

by Olivia Mroz

What are you working on at the moment?
I am constantly working on '11:48' - which is a project I started in my last year at PSC.
'11:48' is a self-reflexive series of photographs examining a link between the emotional state of chronic anxiety and childhood trauma. It focuses on sexual and emotional abuse and the overall effects of this later in life, especially in regard to memory recall and disorders such as OCD, depersonalisation, post-traumatic stress disorder and depression. The work is a process of scrutiny of the links between anxiety and the circumstances that contribute to it. This work continues my long investigation into the themes of anxiety, memory, trauma and identity and operates as an outward manifestation of what are inner subjective states.

by Olivia Mroz

Who and/or what inspires you?
Pat Brassington, Hans Bellmer and Man Ray are a couple of my all time favourites, and, as cheesy as it may sound, people following their passion and thriving in their business.

What has been the most rewarding part of your career so far?
In such a short amount of time, I have had so many amazing opportunities already - and I am so thankful. But, my most rewarding part is still in the process of being created - which I can’t share just yet!

What advice would you give to current PSC students or people thinking of enrolling at PSC?
If you’re wholeheartedly passionate about photography, then it is 110% worth it! And who wouldn’t want to study at one of the best colleges?

by Olivia Mroz

You can see more of Olivia's work on her Instagram, personal website and commercial website.

Our full time Bachelor degree and part time Advanced Diploma courses for 2017 are still open for application, so if you're interested in following Olivia's footsteps, give us a call on (03) 9682 3191 or visit our website.