• Thursday Feature: Agata Mayes

Now in the 3rd stage of the part-time Advanced Diploma course, Agata Mayes has been working on developing her personal style.
Her latest series "Inside The Mind" has been created to explore in-depth, the sensation of unexplained, severe fear.

"My recent body of work is not an analysis and does not answer the question “why” but focuses on how it feels  with a complete acceptance of this state. The aim of this work is to return to deeply repressed emotions and past experiences. This is an opportunity for the viewer to revisit “the inside”, reconnect with what is “real” and  abandon the idea of “wrong” which might lead into a personal interpretation."

Agata Mayes, 'Inside The Mind', 2016

Born in Poland, and after living in Italy and England where she completed studies in informatics in 2003, Agata moved to Australia in 2011. Her passion for photography lead her to short courses and workshops before she finally decided to take up part-time study with PSC's Advanced Diploma course. Before arriving at PSC to refine her technical skills and the conceptual understanding of photographic art, Agata won the "Kayell Best Commercial Work" at the Centre for Contemporary Photography salon in 2015, and was already actively involved in the photographic community 6 years earlier.

"I am an artist with an interest in psychology and my work reflects how I see the world. My aim is to study the human mind, explore the subject of ego and to understand what makes us who we are. My ultimate goal is to create something timeless which will remain as evidence of my life once I leave my body form."

Agata Mayes, 'Inside The Mind', 2016

Agata Mayes' series "Inside The Mind" is on display at the Queen Victoria Womens Centre for the month of March, open from 8:30am to 6:30pm Monday-Friday at 210 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne.

Follow Agata on Instagram