• Feature Friday: Noah Thompson

The July 21st Feature Friday is a quick insight of second year bachelor student Noah Thompson. Earlier this year Noah was a finalist in the National portrait prize, he was involved in an exhibition at the Melbourne Immigration Museum titled "They Cannot Take The Sky" which was made into a book. Noah was also successful in receiving the Maribyrnong City Council art grant that allowed him to have a solo exhibition at the Trocadero Art Space in Footscray and put his work"Footscray Hair" into a book.

We had a chat with the busy artist and learned about where he is now and where he wants to be as he prepares for his fourth semester at PSC.

Noah Thompson, 2017, 'Footscray Hair'

Why did you choose photography?
I moved around quite a bit growing up, going from Tasmania to remote parts of the Northern Territory to living overseas for a couple of years, I think this gives anyone impressions of places and people that are hard to articulate with words. Which I think is what photography allows me to do, though I've only realised this recently. I also like people and am interested in their stories and how individual circumstance often relates to wider social, environmental, economic or political situation. I completed a BA in International Studies which involved studying sociology, international development, conflict studies, etc. It has always been my intention to combine these two interests.
Where do you want to go with photography?
I want to get involved with photojournalism and NGO work as well as work on longer-term documentary projects. At the moment I'm interested in exploring a wide variety of subjects relating to social justice, war, migration, economics, refugees and community. I think photography is an important tool in generating discussion around difficult, controversial or important issues and also invaluable in disseminating untold aspects of a given issue.
Who/what inspires you?
Kind people, my mum.
What do you enjoy about photography?
I like that it gets me out and about, talking to people, asking questions, out of my comfort zone.
Stay up to date on Noah's work by following him on Instagram

Noah Thompson, 2017, 'Footscray Hair'