• Student Feature - Robert Palmer

Over the next couple of days, we’re going to be featuring a bunch of students who finished their studies at PSC at the end of 2016. Today we’re featuring Robert Palmer (Photojournalism Major).

Members from Army, Navy and Air Force attend the interservice Biathlon event at Mt Hotham, Australia. Biathlon is a Winter sport that combines the two opposing disciplines of cross-country skiing and precision target shooting. Often compared to running 100 metres and then trying to thread a needle. The competition consists of several events over a period of two weeks which tests fitness, stamina and skill at arms.

Why did you choose to study at PSC?
I wanted to study somewhere that focused on photography as a career path, not just a hobby. I also wanted to study somewhere where I could be accredited in my field.

How did you grow throughout your time at PSC?
In many, many ways. I have grown immensely with both creative and technical skills, especially the use of software such as Photoshop and Premiere. I’m now able to decide when and why to use a particular technique, rather than just using it because I know how.

What process did you go through for your final project?
I documented a winter biathlon - which is snow sport, rifle shooting and skate skiing. I produced a four minute video as well as a series of still images. I documented the event in a documentary style, including interviews of the participants - both beginners and experienced. As a whole, the series depicts a series of challenges, both mental and physical, and people overcoming them using mental and physical fitness and skill.

What are your plans from here?
I want to develop a business in both video and still imagery. I’m also very interested in the use of drone and UAV equipment for aerial photography. I definitely think this type of work is going to be requested more and more by clients in the future, so it’s definitely an area I want to focus on.

What advice would you give to anyone starting their studies at PSC?
Make yourself open to honest and constructive feedback that will challenge you to produce your best work.

by Robert Palmer

Tag:

Students