• 2016 Graduate Feature: Tom Rogers

Today we are catching up with Tom Roger graduating photojournalist.

Tom Roger, 2016

What got you started in photography?
Back in high school, one of my teachers showed us the darkrrom process and I instantly fell in love with the process, how you can take a piece of paper and dip it in some chemicals and magically these forms and lines and tones and all of it evolves and creates an image right in front of you.

When you first started at PSC, what kind of photographer did you imagine you would become?
I was definitely going to be a National Geographic photographer tackling dramatic social issues around the world.

What is the most beneficial thing you have learned?
 To trust your instincts and to be bold with decision-making.

What was your most challenging moment at PSC?
 Learning to drive myself along and shoot freely in my own specific way rather then leaning on tutors and photographing in a way to try and please them.

Tom Roger, 2016

What was your most rewarding moment at PSC?
Making my final photobook. I love the process, I love the finished outcome and I was proud of how far I’d come.

How has your style developed?
I’d stopped trying to be other people that I thought I wanted to be and just photographed from my heart and what was true to me. I know now how best I work and how to get what I want rather then try and emulate someone else.

What was your graduating folio about? How did you arrive at this idea?
My graduating folio was about searching for intimacy within myself whilst maturing into adulthood, experiencing the world around me. 

Tom Roger, 2016

What are you working on at the moment?
A couple of smaller projects, one continuing on from my graduating folio as it forms a kind of diary for me personally as well as a documentary on the hospitality scene in Melbourne.

What advice would you give to current students?
Just shoot the c**p out of the world and trust your tutor. Katrin was endlessly helpful and I can not speak more highly of her and how she helped not just me but for everyone in our class.

What do you do when you’re not taking photos?
I’m working behind a bar saving to do a Vietnam photo trip and then a European travel.

Tom Roger, 2016

Where do you find your motivation?
Everywhere from seeing other peoples images and stories on the internet to just walking down the street and discovering something new and unexpected, I want to share what I see with others

Who/what inspires you?
I am inspired by those around me, everyone has a story and everyones story deserves to be shared.

What is your dream job/shoot?
I would seriously love to be on long term assignments documenting society, whether it be social issues, minorities or just interesting people. I want to be immersed in something that’s different to my form of normal and to share that with the wider community.

To keep up to date with Tom, follow his work on Instagram

Tom Roger, 2016