• Q&A with Professional Fine Art Photographer and PSC Alumnus, Stan Gemlitski

From 'Deconstructing Spaces' by Stan Gemlitski From 'Deconstructing Spaces' by Stan Gemlitski

After pursuing his studies at PSC, alumnus Stan Gemlitski majored in Fine Art Photography and won 3 Silver awards (including a Silver Distinction) at the Australian Professional Photography Awards and the International Loupe Awards in 2013, as well as 2014. Currently working at his own venture 'Paparazzi.Melbourne' doing glamorous wedding photography, Stan continues to build his 'Spaces' series, in Melbourne.

Here is our short Q&A with the enterprising photographer, who tells it like it is - especially on the note of establishing your own photography business.

1. What led you to your style of work (the inspiration behind your choices in style and subject matter)?

Most certainly I would say that my photographic interests lie in the field of wedding photography. The current style that intrigues me and I am enjoying working on is wedding photography with a candid approach, combining art and glamour with the magic of the moment.  The style was inspired by works of the famous Russian painter and photographer Sergey Ivanov.

1. Why did you choose photography?

Six years ago, I became a Director of the Tibetan Children’s Fund and at that same time purchased my first Nikon camera, so I was able to cover all of the charity events.

Slowly it turned into a life passion. Although I still do a lot of documentary photography and enjoy it, at PSC I’ve been given an opportunity to explore and be guided into many other genres of photography. I had chosen Art as my major to develop my vision and find my style through my final year of study.

1. What do you miss most about PSC?

Studying at PSC, reminded me of my previous university years, and had allowed me to feel young again. I was very fortunate to meet a lot of great people during my studies and formed genuine friendships.

1. Was there something you learnt at PSC that had the biggest impact on you, as an artist?

The biggest impact on me as an artist came in my final year, when as a part of the course curriculum I visited Gold Street Studios and learnt about alternative photographic processes. I’m trying to incorporate this into my current work.

1. What are you working on right now?

At the moment, I’m actively developing my new business Paparazzi.Melbourne https://www.facebook.com/paparazzi.melbourne and I'm also continue working on my Spaces series (www.stangemlitski.com)

1. Can you advise us on how emerging artists can establish their own photography business?

It is very hard to compete with well-established businesses in the industry, so this is what I’m thinking you should do when starting a new business

1. Find a niche product or service that nobody offers.
  2. Start small, do trials, don’t put a lot of money at the beginning.
  3. Be flexible, change or adjust direction if needed.
  4. Work hard and don’t give up.
  5. Give back to the community.

See more of Stan's work by clicking the image to his Photosales profile. Buy prints now. See more of Stan's work by clicking the image to his Photosales profile. Buy prints now.

To find out more about studying full time at PSC visit: https://www.psc.edu.au/full_time.html