• Home
  • Congratulations to Advanced Diploma of Photography student, Samantha Poling

SamanthaPoling_HomeBeautiful_Faded-1536x1536-1

Image by: PSC's Final Year Advanced Diploma of Photography student, Samantha Poling, from the series, 'Home Beautiful', 2022

Samantha Poling wins Ballarat International Foto Biennale, GradFoto 2022 prize! 

A massive congratulations to PSC final year Advanced Diploma of Photography student, Samantha Poling, who has won the GradFoto 2022 Award, with the series, 'Home Beautiful'!

The GradFoto 2022 exhibition, presented by the Ballarat International Foto Biennale, features 22 finalists selected amongst entries from 28 universities and colleges across Australia. 

Samantha's series, 'Home Beautiful', "centres around the themes of the hidden lives of things, and that things aren't what they seem, particularly as it pertains to personal objects and house and home ... it is about life's messy-ness – the emotional, the physical and the psychological."

"So, I must say I was incredibly surprised when I heard that I had won the Ballarat International Foto Biennale GradFoto 2022!  There was much happy crying!!  I knew several of my graduating classmates were also entering their work, of which I am very much in awe of, and I mostly entered to just build my confidence in putting my work out into the world now that I have graduated and plan on building an art practice.  It can be quite daunting, to say the least!

I would like to thank my classmates and friends for their support over the 4 years of the Advanced Diploma course, and also PSC’s wonderful teachers for their deep wealth of knowledge and inspiration, particularly Sarina Lirosi for this last year of study.  But most importantly, my wonderful husband and kids are the best.  I could not have done it without their encouragement.  I keep joking that a woman in her mid 50s has just won a graduate award!  It is never too late! "

Samantha Poling, 2022

Jeff Moorfoot, one of the judges stated, “Samantha Poling’s submission ticked all of these boxes and presented a folio that included aspects of both photography and design in a considered and engaging manner”.

In addition, we’d like to offer our congratulations to Master of Arts Photography student, Rob Johnston, who received a Highly Commended, as well as Bachelor of Photography student, Kaede James Takamoto, and Advanced Diploma of Photography student, Emma Sanders, who were selected as finalists.

On behalf of the PSC Community, we’re so proud!

Visit Samantha's Instagram here.