Esther Ling

Final year photojournalism major

Esther recently was awarded the KATA Most Adventurous Artwork prize in the 2011 Centre for Contemporary Photography Kodak Salon www.ccp.org.au/latest news Esther shares some of her thoughts with us about her experiences, "My award winning image of James was taken last semester for my personal folio, it is titled I could feel them watching me, the CIA I mean. This body of work was based on a rooming house for low income earners, many suffering from hallucination, manic depression, schizophrenia, or drug abuse. I've spent over 11 months (now & continuing) documenting this. The thought of a complete stranger allowing you to photograph their personal life is an incredible honour. I've gained an incredible amount of images that will be put into a book, in collaboration with young writers and the organization that runs the rooming house. They're printing 5000 copies and it will be released in early May."

Esther Ling