• Home
  • PSC Student Marion Abada Wins 2014 AIPP Victorian Student Photographer of the Year
Congratulations to final year student Marion Abada - winner of the 2014 AIPP Victorian Student Photographer of the Year! The awards were judged last week and we were thrilled to see Marion take out the student award and have another final year student Vesna Obradovic named as a finalist in the same category. Well done!

Marion writes about her experiences below:

I have always liked to take photo’s - originally on my parents old, fully manual film camera, then my very own SLR (again film) before going digital many years ago.  While I used to do a lot of painting and drawing when I was a teenager, I love the immediacy of photography & over the years have really been drawn to it as an art form.  I am now in my 5th year of the 4 year part-time Advanced Diploma course (work commitments slowed me down a little a couple of years ago) and am doing the Commercial major.

During my time at PSC I have really loved the opportunity to learn from teachers with real-life, relevant industry experience as well as from very talented and inspiring fellow students.   I am still figuring out what aspects of Commercial photography I’d like to focus on but I am enjoying the opportunity to explore a range of different options.  I keep coming back to architecture as an area that really interests me, particularly industrial architecture - both old and new.

If I had to give any advice to anyone thinking about studying photography, whether at PSC or elsewhere it would be to soak up the experience, take all the opportunities offered through your studies and don’t just rush through to get the certificate/diploma/degree at the end.

I was really surprised and honoured to find out that I was awarded AIPP Victorian Student Photographer at the VPPY’s this year (especially given the talent pool that makes up the students in my year) and I am very happy to be this years recipient.   The 3 images I submitted to the VPPY’s were all taken on a family holiday to Europe last year doing the tourist thing at the Musee d’Orsay, Paris, Notre Dame, Paris & the Natural History Museum, London.

Images by Marion Abada

www.marionabada.com.au