• Home
  • PSC's First Buddy Lunch of the Year

PSC hosts buddy lunches for new students with their mentors. Students in their 2nd and 3rd years provide their support and wisdom, as they start a new chapter of finalizing their portfolios for their final assessments. New students get the chance to network and build life-long connections at our lunches.

They also have the chance to see how the work of their mentors have evolved over the years, as 3rd years showcase their previous assignment pieces. These lunches often provide a fun and reflective space for our students, who unite in their passion for the craft of photography.

Here are what some of our student mentors had to say:

_DSC3363
 ‘The buddy lunches at PSC help new students to settle in. I think it’s inspiring to come together to think about our folios together in this way. It’s pretty cool because the mentoring gives them an anchor – they have 2nd and 3rd year students to help them out. We love to spend time with people at the college and like getting to know about what they want to do while they’re at PSC.”

Alysha Jacobi

good tendai

“I’m excited about mentoring students; I’m taking it as another opportunity to learn from others while sharing my knowledge with them. I would like to teach photography in the long run, so mentoring is really special to me. PSC has been a huge change for me, personally. I was working in the finance industry for a really long time before I came here. I can definitely say that now, in my 3rd year, I’m starting to see my work come alive – it’s so exciting. PSC has been great because of its academic structure and support system. It gives you a good balance of the photography practice and business. It’s not just about studying photography at PSC, you learn to network.”

Tendai Hatendi

_DSC3351

“I plan to meet my mentees every four to six weeks to find out where they are with their projects and show them my work. It’ll be great to share feedback and ideas. I aim to help them with areas they need further development in, as I really want to encourage them to experiment with their work. Entering my 2nd year at PSC is exciting, because I know I’m going to dabble in every genre of photography I can while I’m here – I might try nature or fashion photography, and even portraiture. That’s what I love about PSC – the freedom to try out new styles and learn new things. The supportive network of teachers has been amazing; we get feedback from people who have active and successful careers themselves!”

James Thorn

PSC also has industry mentor programs, where students in their final year of studies get to correspond with a practicing photographer from the field and get feedback from them . Learn more about our programs here. We look forward to seeing how our new students and mentors collaborate in the year!