• Graduate Focus - Leon Schoots

When did your passion for photography begin?

Photography for me didn’t start in the normal cliché way, I didn’t grow up with a camera around my neck and I never spent time in a darkroom, instead it was more a means of exploring everything I was interested in once I finished VCE. My interests seemed to change every few months but photography could be applied to whatever I happened to be doing or whatever new passion I had at the time.

How did you find out about the course at PSC?

I decided to start studying after working in a portrait studio both here and in Sydney as well as in Saudi Arabia. It was time for a direction change so I did a search for potential courses and PSC sounded like a place where I could grow my creativity, instead of being stuck in technical theory classes. After meeting the teachers and the staff and seeing the facilities I knew it would be a great place to study.

What was your greatest challenge while studying?

Although I work in a studio and photograph people daily my biggest challenge was always getting comfortable with new people. Moving to Melbourne meant making new friends and also made some of the people based assignments a real push out of my comfort zone. It was a real challenge to begin with but as the semesters progressed so did my confidence and skills.

Share some thoughts about your PSC teachers and your mentors?

The staff at PSC are fantastic! Most have a strong background in the industry and as such can offer an enormous amount of knowledge not otherwise accessible. This was one of the biggest selling points of PSC as well. I knew photography was a very close knit industry and any help and experience would be more valuable than years spent in lectures and in front of a computer.

What inspires you in your photographic practice?

My biggest inspiration came from seeing other peoples work, not just professionals in the industry but also fellow students. Once I found a style and aesthetic I could relate to, I focused on pushing my own work to a comparable level. In my 3rd year I worked incredibly hard to take advantage of the mentor program and this had a huge influence on my own work and my path once the program at PSC finished.

Describe what you’re doing now.

Currently I am assisting full time for an incredible photographer! She was my mentor during 3rd year and still is everyday. She has had a massive influence on my work and I still pinch myself regularly when we work together. I also shoot some freelance work on the odd day I have free.

What advice would you give to future students?

The best advice I can give students is to take full advantage of the mentor program. It is important to find someone you really admire and can form a strong relationship with. Not only will they be an incredible source of knowledge but if you work hard and stay passionate everyday it can lead to great things once you finish studying.