• Home
  • First year BA Student Farley Webb on making the right decision!

Farley-PortraitWe recently sat down with current first year student, Farley Webb to talk about why he made the decision to come to PSC and what it's like to follow your passion!

Was photography the only thing you were considering to study? Or did you have other things in mind?

Photography has always been my interest, but not my first field of study.

What was your first field of study?

I began with a Bachelor of Business.

How was that?

Studying business didn’t come naturally to me. I have to say, that it makes a world of difference studying something you are passionate about.

What made you decide to choose photography?

My relationship with photography goes all the way back to 2005 when my mum gave me her Kodak Easyshare digital camera to take with me on school camp. I was practicing photography all through high school but put it to rest for about 5 years while I studied business and worked after my degree. I picked it up again in early 2016 because I just missed it too much! I feel I’ve made the right decision.

Farley-Landscape _Still life1

Why did you decide to study at PSC?

There’s something about a small, photography-focused college that appeals to me over a large, multi-discipline university. That, and I knew some alumni who were doing some pretty great things with their photography.

Tell us, how was your interview experience at PSC?

The interview process was very relaxed. I was taken on a 1 on 1 tour of the campus and then taken to my interview, again in a 1 on 1 setting. We essentially just chatted about photography. The interview is really just to determine your level of interest in photography and perhaps what you would like to do after the degree. You don’t have to have everything figured out at the start, just be open to learning.

What type of photographer do you aspire to be?

That’s a hard question, one that I’m not entirely sure how to answer. I would love to further develop my interest in landscape photography and produce a meaningful body of work with a strong conceptual basis, perhaps moving into fine art.

FarleyMWebb-0147

What do you enjoy about studying at PSC?

I enjoy the community atmosphere and small class sizes. At my first university we were lumped together in big lecture theatres, so you never got to know everyone that well. PSC is a different story. It’s great to know everyone in your class and to have motivated friends to bounce ideas off and work with. The teaching staff are also great – not just experienced photographers, but also approachable and helpful, without the bureaucratic red tape of larger institutions.

What has been your biggest achievement thus far?

In photography? I think I’m yet to achieve something great, but that’s why I’m at PSC 😉

What are your plans after graduating?

I would like to be working on personal projects and eventually start my own business.

Farley Morgan Webb-Star Trail

Are you confident about your future career prospects as a creative professional?

I’m very confident in my future career prospects.

Can you tell us why?

The creative industry is strong, with many avenues to pursue. I think success is a matter of identifying what you want and working hard to achieve that.

If you could give your pre PSC self one piece of advice, what would that be?

Never stop creating!

See more of Farleys photography on his website and on Instagram @farleyflex

Farley-Landscape _Still life2

VTAC change of preference is currently open and is a great chance for you to
rethink your study options in 2019.
Change of preference closes on 19 December.

Be inspired and study something you love in 2019!