• Home
  • Feature Friday 1st September 2017; James Bugg

After almost missing an entry to the national awards, one of our final year Bachelor of Photography students James Bugg has won a silver at the Australian Professional Photography Awards in the landscape category.

James Bugg, 2017

What got you started in photography?

I had an interest ever since I was introduced to my father's camera kit, my interest grew throughout high school and then I was just hooked.

When you first started at PSC did you have an idea of the photographer you wanted to be?
I always knew the kind of work I liked and was drawn to, however when I started at PSC  the photographer I wanted to become was different to the one I am now. PSC refined the vision I had for myself and my knowledge and inspirations broadened. I guess ultimately I hope the photographer I want to become constantly evolves and changes with time.
What has PSC taught you?
PSC has taught me so much, from technical aspects to information about the industry, It has really expanded my photographic knowledge. However the most beneficial thing PSC has given me is constant inspiration from the staff to push myself and my thinking.
What are you working on at the moment?
At the moment I am working on a project called "The Pines" which documents a small town in Melbourne's south-east. The town, once a pine plantation is now a community struggling to get by. A prevalent culture of drugs, violence and socioeconomic status cause harsh realities to be prominent. The work deals with ideas of escapism and struggling Australian sub culture and will be presented in book form at the end of the year. See Work In Progress 
What do you do when you are not taking photos?
When I'm not taking photos I like to play music or get outside and go camping. I'm normally taking photos though, or looking at them at least.
Do you have a dream job/shoot? 
Not really, my dream clients would be Time, The New York Times and The Guardian, as well as publications such as Aint-Bad and British Journal of Photography.
To see more of James' work, follow him on Instagram, or take a look at his website.