• Home
  • Feature Friday 20th October 2017; Clare Delaney

This week we caught up with Advanced Diploma of Photography student Clare Delaney to learn about her journey here at PSC.

Clare Delaney, 2017

What got you started in photography?

The earliest memory I have with photography is watching my father take photos on his Pentax K1000 in Lorne of waves crashing on the shoreline. I was around ten years old and was so fascinated. My dad wrapped his camera around my neck, taught me what he knew and said, “Now, go ahead, shoot.” Let's just say it has been love ever since.

When you started at PSC, did you have an idea of the kind of photographer you want to become? 

I have always been the artistic type across a range of different mediums, so being an artist was always the end game for me. Art and free fluid creativity have always been the most interesting aspects of photography that I have connected to the most. At one point though, I was really interested in photojournalism. I found the idea of travelling and being a sort of detective was the appeal.

What is the most beneficial thing you have learned up to this point? 

In terms of photography, I would say is understanding light and analysing it in your own work. Lighting and studio classes at PSC really have taught me the most. You can never stop learning and applying different lighting techniques to your photos to make them sing. In terms of life, the most beneficial thing I have learnt is to be willing to take risks.

What has been your most challenging moment at PSC so far?

I would say the most challenging moment so far is really just beginning the final semester of my course. Knowing I only have a short time left at PSC is both daunting and exciting. I hope to take up every opportunity I can to push myself for the last part of the year. 

What has been your most rewarding moment at PSC so far?

In all honesty, I can’t choose a moment, I feel like it’s more of an overall feeling. I would say being surrounded in a creative environment and creative people. You are nurtured and it has allowed me to grow into the kind of creative person I have always inspired to be. The tutors are pretty amazing as well. The knowledge and passion they have to offer are so invaluable.

How has your style developed? What have you noticed is different? Your aesthetic? Way of thinking? Approach? 

Good question! I have always been fascinated by things that are dark, things of fantasy and dangerous things. I feel there is a true beauty in these things and the sublime. The more I learn, the more I find myself being in tune with this side of me. Instead of holding back, I am opening up and embracing all things that I am drawn to create. I think that that is the key, being in tune with who you are and always learning, researching and changing.

So far, what body of work have you been most proud of?

My folio from second year is work I have been most proud of. The purpose of the series was to raise awareness around mental illness and suicide. I feel the series holds an important message; you are not alone in your fight. I want to make a difference with my photography however that may be. I feel this body of work was my first step in doing so. I hope to continue work with this concept in the future.

What are you working on at the moment? 

Currently, I am working on a series relating to mortality. After death, we leave behind our story — the essence of who we are — in pages of diaries, the stories told by loved ones and the photographs taken.

Clare Delaney, 2017

What do you do when you’re not taking photos?

I try to maintain a social life and a work balance while studying. In my spare time, you can find me swimming, going to healthy alternative expos, training my Rottweiler for dog shows or watching Netflix. I am a bit of film buff too.

Where do you find your motivation?

My fire is what motivates me. I am an incredibly self-driven and passionate person. When I want to achieve something, there is no holding me back. Also, my family, they are great motivators and the biggest fan club.

Who/what inspires you?

I am inspired by my experiences, nature and dark gothic literature. Artists and photographers who inspire me are Van Gogh, Picasso, Jane Burton, Bill Henson and Yervant Zanazanian. There are so many others but those are the most significant. 

What is your dream job/shoot?

I had this actual dream once that I was taking a fashion editorial shoot for Vogue Magazine with Emma Stone and Johnny Depp. It was full on and the sassiest thing I had ever seen. That was a pretty cool dream… One day soon, I hope it becomes a reality, haha! I would also love to exhibit both in Australia and overseas. I can see myself living the artist dream, travelling and making a difference in society through my art in the future.

To see more of Clare's work, follow her on Instagram 

Clare Delaney, 2017