• Ian Lloyd shares his tips with PSC’s photojournalism major students
On September 15 PSC’s Advanced Diploma photojournalism major students travelled to RMIT for a lecture presented by leading international corporate/editorial/travel photographer Ian Lloyd. Canada-born and now resident in Sydney, Ian's career has spanned the globe and included a long stint in Singapore, where he established a stock library and publishing company. Long regarded as a top Asia specialist, he has worked for a number of high-profile clients including National Geographic, Time, Exxon and Apple. He has published 35 books, including  STUDIO: Australian Painters on the Nature of Creativity(2007) , a best-seller accompanied by an exhibition shown in 22 state and regional galleries and seen by more than 130,000 people. Travel remains Ian’s focus, and he spends about half of every year on the road shooting stock and undertaking occasional editorial assignments.

Leading international travel photographer Ian Lloyd speaking to PSC PJ Major students in a combined session at RMIT Leading international travel photographer Ian Lloyd speaking to PSC PJ Major students in a combined session at RMIT

In his presentation to a combined group of PSC, RMIT and Melbourne Polytechnic students he showed a wide range of his photographic work from film through digital, and spoke about his various projects and books. One of the highlights was a series of illustrated tips about the business of photography under the heading “things I wish someone had told me when I was starting out”.

Ian Lloy'd list of “things I wish someone had told me when I was starting out” Ian Lloy'd list of “things I wish someone had told me when I was starting out”

Ian has posted the list of tips to  http://tinyurl.com/hhv2kd7 and a wide selection of his work can be found at his website  http://rianlloyd.com and also at  www.vimeo.com/rianlloyd/videos

Article provided by Bill Bachman, PSC’s Advanced Diploma photojournalism major